50 mph winds with 8-10 foot waves

50 mph winds with 8-10 foot waves

rainbow I caught

rainbow I caught

Monday, May 17, 2010

weekly reflection

What a great week! The week started off with crappy weather with 50MPH winds and massive waves but I was able to work on my rod. I ended up getting the handle done, the eye loops wrapped on, and epoxy on as well. The most difficult thing so far with building this rod was definitely the small eye loops. Because of the way you wrap the string around the rod there are no nots. The end’s of the string are just tucked in through 1 or 2 wraps. But once you start to get to the small eye loops you didn't have much room to work with. Trying to get the eye loop lined up and in the right spot was so frustrating, but I was able to struggle through it.

After getting the handle done the weather stated to turn out for the best. I was able to get out on the boat a couple times. All though I was not as successful as I would have hoped I was abel to catch two rainbow trout. Personally I think the water is still a little to cold for the bass to be up around the shore. Thats why I haven't been able to catch one. But like Dan (mentor) said “it’s not the fishing rods fault it’s the stiff holding it.

One of my favorite parts of the week was getting to sign my name on the rod. First I used gold sheets and taped them onto the rod where I wanted to sign it then I used a heat gun and signed my name. The first one came out very bad. I had to remove the gold wrap and re-do it. The second time I tried to keep it simpler, so I just used my initials, and the date.

Over all, the week went well, I was able to get a lot more done than I was expecting and I am that much closer to my final goal. A hand built fishing rod, with a couple of flies to use. Hopefully next week ill catch more fish and maybe even be able to use my fishing rod.

No comments:

Post a Comment